- Who We Are
The Three Rivers Historical Society is made up of dedicated volunteers who are preserving the history of the Southwest Valley in the greater Phoenix area.
The cities of Avondale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park and Tolleson have grown at the confluence of the Agua Fria, Salt and Gila rivers.
- We offer meetings and public exhibits - collect artifacts, photos and rare documents - and have an active program to record oral and written personnal and family histories. Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month - except July and August - at 3 PM. featuring an informative presentation on Southwest Valley history.
- May Meeting - 5/19/2015
Join us to learn about the process and history of mining - not in the mountains for copper or gold - but in our riverbeds, for basic building materials: sand, gravel and rock.
Randy & Terri Harper, owners of Circle H Sand & Rock, with five generations of history in the area, will tell us their story. They are a producer of high quality construction aggregates in the West Phoenix area. This family owned and operated company provides aggregates for a broad range of construction; from the simplest applications to projects with specialized characteristics.
At their mine location in the Gila River, Circle H excavates, crushs, screens and washes concrete and construction aggregates to rigid specifications. Aggregates, including sand, gravel and crushed rock, are the most basic building materials and are essential to economic growth. When combined with cement, these aggregates are key ingredients used to build the foundations of our homes, schools, shopping centers and the sidewalks, roads, bridges and airports that allow us to get around.
- The meeting will be held at 3 PM at our normal location - the Goodyear Branch Library at 14455 W. Van Buren - which is about one-half mile west of Goodyear City Hall.
- Please enter the Community Room C-102 through its side entrance not through the library.
- No meetings in July or August
After our May meeting described above, we will resume in August. Enjoy your summer!
- Society Newsletter
Download the April-May-June 2015 issue featuring articles on:
- Hero is Agua Fria High Scholl's Favorite teacher
- Buffalo Soldiers in Arizona
- Leading the Way Since 1971
- Litchfield High School's "Kissing Treee" Finds New Home
- New Officers for 2015
- Oh Boy, There's a Yard Sale
- Boys Scouts of America
- The Society is on Facebook
You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view our newsletters. Download it for free.
- Join the Society
Please attend one of our meetings to learn about the Society and what we have to offer.
You can also download our Membership Flyer
- Previous Newsletters, History Books, Documents (new feature)
You can now view Meeting Minutes and Monthly Financial Reports at our Reports page. (Starting 2015)
You can also download our Previous Issues
and also view information about area photo history books
- Contact Us
Register for our email list.
You'll receive a reminder for each meeting with information about the presentation, and also our Quarterly newsletter.
Our Mailing address is:
Three Rivers Historical Society, P.O. Box 7251, Goodyear AZ 85338
Society information is available by phone at 623-386-1397